Chemical & Systems Biology
Rajesh Gokhale is interested to elucidate mechanistic and spatiotemporal coherence of chemico-cellular processes underlying two distinct pathological diseases – Tuberculosis (TB) and Vitiligo.
The main focus of the group is to understand
- Lipid Metabolic Networks in Mycobacteria and their implications in Extra-pulmonary TB.
- Molecular regulatory networks that govern pigmentation homeostasis in skin.
- Systems biology approach to decipher depigmenting disorder Vitiligo.
This group has discovered a new family of enzymes fatty acyl-AMP ligases that activate fatty acids as acyl adenylates. Further, they have demonstrated involvement of polyketide synthases in biosynthesis of complex Mycobacterium tuberculois lipids.
In skin biology program, a crucial role of IFNγ in downregulating melanogenesis process in melanocytes by controlling maturation of organelle melanosome has been delineated.
- Natarajan VT, Ganju P, Ramkumar A, Grover R, Gokhale RS. Multifaceted pathways protect human skin from UV radiation. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10(7):542-51.
- Natarajan VT, Ganju P, Singh A, Vijayan V, Kirty K, Yadav S, Puntambekar S, Bajaj S, Dani PP, Kar HK, Gadgil CJ, Natarajan K, Rani R, Gokhale RS. IFN-γ signaling maintains skin pigmentation homeostasis through regulation of melanosome maturation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111(6):2301-6.
- Chhabra A, Haque AS, Pal RK, Goyal A, Rai R, Joshi S, Panjikar S, Pasha S, Sankaranarayanan R, Gokhale RS. Nonprocessive [2 + 2]e- off-loading reductase domains from mycobacterial nonribosomal peptide synthetases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(15):5681-6.
- Arora P, Goyal A, Natarajan VT, Rajakumara E, Verma P, Gupta R, Yousuf M, Trivedi OA, Mohanty D, Tyagi A, Sankaranarayanan R, Gokhale RS. Mechanistic and functional insights into fatty acid activation in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5(3):166-73.
- Trivedi OA, Arora P, Sridharan V, Tickoo R, Mohanty D, Gokhale RS. Enzymic activation and transfer of fatty acids as acyl-adenylates in mycobacteria. Nature. 2004 Mar 25;428(6981):441-5.