Shantanu Chowdhury is interested in understanding what triggers cancer cells to move from a local tumor to other organs, and how DNA secondary structures regulate gene expression.
His major interests are:
- Understanding how and why a metastasis suppressor NME2 controls telomerase function and how this impacts cancer spread
- Exploring what triggers DNA secondary structures like G-quadruplex into biological action, particularly in transcription
Following recent discovery by his group that the metastasis suppressor NME2 inactivates telomerase his group is addressing mechanisms underlying NME2-dependent telomerase function to decipher, and use this information for developing ways to intervene cancer spread. Continuing on initial evidence from his group supporting role of G-quadruplex DNA structures in transcription they are currently investigating mechanisms that control/trigger G-quadruplexes to become transcription regulators.
- Yadav VK, Kumar A, Mann A, Aggarwal S, Kumar M, Roy SD, Pore SK, Banerjee R,Mahesh Kumar J, Thakur RK, Chowdhury S. Engineered reversal of drug resistance incancer cells--metastases suppressor factors as change agents. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Jan;42(2):764-73.
- Kar A, Saha D, Purohit G, Singh A, Kumar P, Yadav VK, Kumar P, Thakur RK,Chowdhury S. Metastases suppressor NME2 associates with telomere ends andtelomerase and reduces telomerase activity within cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Mar;40(6):2554-65.
- Kumar P, Yadav VK, Baral A, Kumar P, Saha D, Chowdhury S. Zinc-fingertranscription factors are associated with guanine quadruplex motifs in human,chimpanzee, mouse and rat promoters genome-wide. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011Oct;39(18):8005-16.
- Thakur RK, Kumar P, Halder K, Verma A, Kar A, Parent JL, Basundra R, Kumar A, Chowdhury S. Metastases suppressor NM23-H2 interaction with G-quadruplex DNAwithin c-MYC promoter nuclease hypersensitive element induces c-MYC expression.Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 Jan;37(1):172-83.
- Rawal P, Kummarasetti VB, Ravindran J, Kumar N, Halder K, Sharma R, Mukerji M,Das SK, Chowdhury S. Genome-wide prediction of G4 DNA as regulatory motifs: role in Escherichia coli global regulation. Genome Res. 2006 May;16(5):644-55.